For this issue we wanted to focus on several items that are improvements or inovations of products that are due to be released this summer. The huge advantage to custom designed buildings is that we can match how the building performs (utilizing the best from a world of products) to the needs that you have in your building and thus ensure a much higher user satisfaction. Thad Claggett
2. Deck Waterproofing Membrane: Duradeck now offers the ICC approved waterproofing membrane that can be walked on because it’s designed for roof decks, patios and sun decks. With many colors and patterns to choose from, you can customize your space with something classic or modern. Check out more information here.
3. Saratoga Soapstone: the Artisan Group hand selects this stone from Brazil. Niagara Black, a smooth black background with zig-zag white lines, joins Hudson Ash, Stillwater Grey, Mineral Black, Vineyard Green and Saratoga Black. Saratoga Soapstone is a part of the Artisan Stone Collection of exotic and classic granites and marble. Soapstone is often referred to as “the original” stone countertop. Very prevalent in the north east used as a traditional look, Soapstone is now being used with a flat edge for clean, con temporary rooms. These countertops are durable, easy to clean and maintain and add an extra zip to any space. For more info, click here.
4. Insulated Precast Wall System: Superior Walls of America debuts this precast concrete wall system. It features the Dow Thermax reinforced polyisocyanurate insulation covering rigid foam insulation. That’s nearly 2.5 inches of styrofoam insulation for extra energy efficiency. Nearly everything in this XiPlus is insulated, the corners, studs, and bond beam. With a monolithic pour of concrete, this structure is high in concrete strength because of its structural integrity. Superior Walls has more information on their XiPlus page here.
5. Radius Bending Plywood from Columbia Forest Products: Plywood is generally boring. However, Columbia has formulated plywood sheets in 2 ply or 3 ply that measure either 4′ x 8′ or 8′ x 4′ long grain. The interesting thing about this product is its ability to flexibly bend a minimum radius of 12″. This plywood is great for areas that are rounded or curved. This flexible product is formaldehyde free and comes in thicknesses of 1/8″, 1/4″, 3/8″, 3mm, 5mm, 8mm, 16mm. This high-performance, versatile product is the right choice for rounded columns, arches, cabinetry and furniture.
6. Weyerhauser’s Flak Jacket: Fire protection protection is a proprietary, patent-pending coating that enhances the fire resistance of TJI Joists and enables them to meet both single and multi-family fire protection code requirements. No special training or tools are needed to work with this product. The one-hour fire rating is achieved without costly coatings or mineral wool and that savings is passed on to you! It’s available in multiple series and depths. For more information you can check out the site here.
7. Certainteed Leave-In-Form: When building codes require one sided drainage, this product is your best pick. Certaform leave-in-place form can be used with Form-A-Drain to achieve this result. Available in a 6″ x 12′ form, this material can stay in place after the concrete pour is finished. Read more about this product here.